A redirect is a method of automatically sending your web visitors to a selected destination – either an entirely new site or a different page within the same site.
When you’re managing multiple websites and want to redirect traffic to one of them, or would like to change your site or business name entirely, domain redirection can be a breeze even if you are just a bit familiar with your hosting platform.
Fear not though, as this article will guide you on how to redirect one page of a website to a new domain. Whether you are using GoDaddy, Hostgator, Bluehost or any other hosting site, which might be a little different based on their interface, the overall process will be the same.
First, to do this, you’d obviously need to have an active address for your website and be able to log into the account on your hosting platform. The next steps will require a bit of eye-balling from you because hosting website interfaces are different from one another.
Additional Reading: How to Buy Super Cheap Domains – Helpful Tips to Consider
- After logging in, go to the settings or the part in the menus where the settings for the domains can be managed and click on it.
- On the domain managing page, select the name of the domain you wish to redirect. This is usually a drop-down menu, or a list will be available for you to view and choose.
After selecting the domain name, you will be able to manage the settings for that particular domain name.
- When already in the settings mode for the domain name you wish to change, you will be asked whether to do a 301 or 302 redirect type. Essentially, a 301 will make a permanent redirect (this redirect updates bookmarks and direct search engines to the new site). On the other hand, a 302 redirect will make a temporary redirect (this redirect will redirect search engines to the new site, but it doesn’t update bookmark and search engines will continue to index to the still existing original page).
Select your preference.
- Select the domain name that you would like to redirect to. Usually, there is a space where you can type the address of the destination URL. Type it in.
- And finally, you need to save your settings change. Click ‘Ok’ or ‘Save’ depending on your host site interface. Most of the times it can take a few minutes for the changes to take effect, but this might sometimes extend up to an hour.
— Ananova (@ananovacom) 10 de septiembre de 2016